Twenty minutes. That’s all the time you need to create these fun Spanish seafood pancakes called tortillitas. When I started The Simple Fare, this recipe was exactly what I was thinking about. I hesitate to even call this a recipe, because the truth is you can add almost anything you have in your kitchen. Consider these pancakes a blank canvas for those extra veggies and herbs in your fridge (leftover parsley, anyone?).
I’ve made these shrimp tortillitas ever since Mark Bittman’s recipe appeared in the New York Times back in ’09. Since then, I’ve started to play around with new flavor combinations and recently landed on this super tasty combination. With every bite, you get a bit of shrimp, green onion, and radish, joined with the smoky flavor of cumin and tartness of the lime.
This shrimp tortillitas recipe is a breeze to cleanup too. Just one bowl to mix the batter, and one pan to cook the tortillitas. Easy. Peasy.
Once you add the water, the batter should look a little thinner than pancake batter. No need to over mix it; just whisk it until it’s all blended, then add in your shrimp, radishes, and green onions. You’ll want to use a measuring cup (1/4 cup) to scoop the batter and pour it onto the pan. Use the largest nonstick pan you have so you can try to make two to three tortillitas at a time. And don’t worry if the batter doesn’t form a perfect circle; each tortillita will have a different shape but taste equally amazing!
These tortillitas are *so* darn good right out the frying pan; it’s practically impossible to not take a bite out of the first one you make. And lastly, remember to top with a sprinkle of salt and fresh lime juice.
I hope you give this recipe a try and let me know what you think in the comments below – I absolutely love reading each and every one of them. Enjoy!
- ¾ cup garbanzo bean flour
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- ¼ cup thinly sliced green onions (roughly 3 onions)
- 2-3 thinly sliced radishes, cut in half moons
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- In a large bowl, mix flours, salt, baking powder, cumin, and pepper. Add water and whisk to combine.
- Stir in shrimp, green onions, and radishes,
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, drizzle some olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Measure ¼ cup of batter, and pour into a circle in the pan. If there's enough room, pour 2-3 at a time.
- Let cook for 2 minutes; flip over to cook for another 2 minutes.
- Use a spatula to remove the tortillitas and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Serve immediately with fresh lime wedges.