This simple and fast soft-shell crab preparation is all about bringing out the crab’s salty and sweet flavors. Broiling the crab crisps up the soft-shell, while also quickly cooking the crab meat. I served this over a bed of sautéed corn with shallots, basil, and grape tomatoes. A little bit of olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and you’ve got a bright, flavorful dish.
Since these crabs are small, I recommend serving two per person as a main course, or one per person as an appetizer.
- 4 soft-shell crabs, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 lemon, quartered
- Turn on broiler with a rack below the heat source.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil and place the crabs on the sheet.
- Drizzle both sides of each crab with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay crabs belly side up, and place pan under the broiler for 3 minutes.
- Remove pan from broiler, and flip crabs top shell up, and finish for an additional 5 minutes. Crabs are ready when the shell turns golden.
- Serve while warm with lemon wedges.